Since 2001, FCM's Sustainable Communities Awards have celebrated the most innovative environmental initiatives in Canadian cities and communities of all sizes. As we reflect on the past 20 years of the Green Municipal Fund (GMF) and prepare for an exciting new chapter ahead, we honour those sustainability projects that demonstrate environmental responsibility and excellence, and take an integrated approach to yielding social and economic benefits for their communities.
The winning projects leverage current and advanced technologies as well as best practices in the area of environmental and sustainability, and can be replicated and scaled up across Canada to achieve national quality-of-life, sustainability and climate goals. The awards honour the most innovative sustainability and environmental initiatives in nine categories:
Applicants are encouraged to apply for the award category that best represents the primary goal or environmental benefit of the initiative.
Call for nominations now open
The call for nominations for FCM’s 2020 Sustainable Communities Awards is open. The awards are available to Canadian cities and communities of all sizes. The deadline for submissions is March 31, 2020. We will honour the winners at our Sustainable Communities Conference, Canada’s leading municipal sustainability event, taking place on October 20-22, 2020, in St. John's, NL.
Need help getting started on your application? Watch our webinar (read the transcript) and learn everything you need to know about applying to the 2020 Awards program.
GMF is a national sustainability leader—as an award winner, you’ll receive local and national recognition and promotion for your initiative.
- Recognition from your peers, community and the media for your municipality’s accomplishments in sustainable development.
- Opportunity to showcase and present your initiative at FCM’s 2020 Sustainable Communities Conference.
- Individual coaching and support to help you develop a TED Talk-style presentation that will be recorded at the conference and shared.
- Encourage local pride by inviting your community to vote for you to receive FCM’s Inspire Award, which is given to the project that demonstrates the most creativity and innovation.
- Showcase your sustainability initiative as a scalable model other municipalities can learn from.
In addition, applicants will be asked to describe how their initiative achieves multiple outcomes, including social, economic and secondary environmental benefits.
FCM is offering to cover the cost of conference registration and certain travel-related costs for award winners who are travelling outside of their region. This subsidy is awarded based on need. Contact us to see if you are eligible.
Meet our Judges
Meet our judges for FCM's 2020 Sustainable Communities Awards who will select the winners. The panel includes FCM Board members and subject matter experts from multiple sectors, including water, transportation, brownfields, energy, asset management and climate change.