Please note that applications are now closed. The deadline for submissions was March 31, 2022.
What’s in it for me?
- Recognition from your peers, community, and national media for your municipality’s accomplishments in sustainable development
- Opportunity to showcase and present your initiative at FCM’s Sustainable Communities Conference
- Individual coaching and support to help you develop a TED Talk-style presentation that will be recorded at the conference and shared
- Showcase your sustainability initiative as a scalable model other communities can learn from
- Receive a digital award badge to share on your website and social pages
FCM is offering to cover the cost of conference registration and certain travel-related costs for award winners who are travelling outside of their region (for an in-person event). This subsidy is awarded based on need. Contact us to see if you are eligible.
I’m from a small municipality. Why should I apply?
We encourage communities of all sizes from across the country to apply for the awards. We recognize that innovation can mean different things in different contexts and that the most inspiring and creative ideas don’t have to come from those who have the most to invest. Our judges will consider the benefits of your initiative to your local community and the overall quality of your application.
Check out the Village of Salmo (population: 1,141) who won the 2018 Sustainable Communities Award in Asset Management for their advanced asset management practices.
How do I apply for an award?
The application process for the Sustainable Communities Awards takes place entirely online. When you are ready to submit an application, simply select the “Click Here to Access the Submission Forms” button at the bottom of the SCA home page to be directed to our online application form. Here, you can enter answers to the questions on the form and upload relevant files and photos.
Please submit your completed application by March 31, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. EDT to be considered for the awards.
If we require any additional information about your application, we will contact you directly.
How do I know if I am eligible?
All Canadian municipalities and their partners are eligible to apply for a Sustainable Communities Award. Please note that consultants and other partners may apply on behalf of their partner municipality, but must indicate at least one team member who works at the municipality.
You should also be able to comfortably answer questions about:
- The environmental, social, and economic benefits of your initiative
- Lessons learned and/or challenges
- How you measure or evaluate the success of your initiative
- The need that your initiative addresses in your communities
If you do not know if you are eligible, or are unsure which category to apply for, please contact the FCM awards team.
What additional information will I need to apply?
In addition to answering the questions, you’ll need:
- A signed letter of support from your mayor or council. Email us at email@example.com to request a sample letter to help you prepare your application.
- A photo that FCM can use to promote your initiative (JPEG/PNG/PDF). Be sure to provide a photo credit.
- Up to three additional reports, documents, forms, or other attachments that you feel help describe or support your initiative.
- (Optional) If your initiative received funding from GMF, MCIP or MAMP, you may provide the project number and title of the initiative.
When will I find out if my project won?
Applications for the Sustainable Communities Awards close March 31, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. EDT. Judging takes place in April and May, with winners being contacted in June 2022.
All applicants will receive confirmation of their application being received and will be notified by the end of May 2022.
How are the award winners selected?
Applications are reviewed by a panel of judges, which includes sector experts and FCM board members. Our judges are highly experienced in their fields, and many have been or are peer reviewers for the Green Municipal Fund (GMF).
For more information about our judges, view the judges’ page.
I’m still confused. Where can I get some extra help or find out more?
We have prepared three videos to help answer your questions:
Devin LaFleche shares his experience as an applicant and winner of SCA 2020
SCA Webinar Recording: Categories, Prizes and Timelines
How to make your application stand out by Yves Hennekens
Please contact us if you have any other questions: firstname.lastname@example.org