This award recognizes a program or a project that focuses on reducing or diverting solid waste or recovering resources in an innovative manner that could be replicated by other municipalities. Plans, strategies, and projects will all be considered.
Examples of eligible initiatives include:
- Initiatives that support and foster circular economy at the local or regional level
- Bylaws or economic (dis)incentives to require or influence waste reduction or diversion
- Reuse or recycling programs or centres
- Composting, anaerobic digestion, or other processes to capture value from organic waste
- Landfill gas capture, mitigation and/or beneficial use
- Waste diversion programs or projects that use waste as a resource
Ineligible projects include waste management plans, landfill management, and the construction of transfer stations.
Who can apply?
All Canadian municipalities and their partners are eligible to apply for a Sustainable Communities Award.
Learn about our 2020 Waste winner, the Town of Canmore, AB, whose food waste collection pilot and community education and awareness campaign help residents compost where curbside waste collection cannot be offered.