Each year, FCM members attending our Annual General Meeting in June elect their representatives to FCM's Board of Directors.
This year's Annual General Meeting will be held Sunday, June 2 in Quebec City, QC, as part of our Annual Conference and Trade Show.
Our Board elections take place in four distinct stages:
- During the first part of the Annual General Meeting, the elections are held for the President, the First Vice-President, the Second Vice-President and the Third Vice-President.
- During provincial and territorial meetings, nominations are held for the directors who will represent their province or territory on the Board. The number of nominees for each province and territory is in accordance with FCM's by-laws, section 3.04.
- During the second part of the Annual General Meeting, all voting delegates vote on the full slate of nominees for the director positions.
- Subsequently, all newly elected and appointed Directors convene in the regional groupings (Atlantic, Quebec, Ontario, Prairies and Territories, British Columbia) to elect a Chair and a Vice-Chair for their respective Regional Caucus. The Regional Caucus Chairs also represent their respective regions on FCM's Executive Committee.
To run as a member of the FCM Board of Directors — and to be registered in advance, on the electoral ballot for your province or territory — you must:
- Be an elected official of an FCM member municipality.
- Fill in the Consent Form and send it to FCM as indicated.
- Include an official resolution — endorsed by your member municipality — allowing you to seek a position as a member of FCM's Board of Directors.
- Send the Consent Form and resolution to FCM by Friday, May 17, 2019. The instructions for sending these are contained in the Consent Form.
- Attend the Annual General Meeting in Quebec City.
Important dates — FCM elections process
- Launch of FCM’s election process and campaign period
- Member send: call for nominations
- Web posting: election procedures, nomination process, consent form, sample resolution
(60 days prior to the FCM Annual General Meeting)
- Posting of nominations of Table Officer positions on the FCM Website
(21 days prior to the FCM Annual General Meeting)
- Deadline for submission of nominations for Table Officer positions
- Deadline for submission of Consent Form and official resolution for Board Member positions (to be registered on the pre-printed official ballot)
(14 days prior to the FCM Annual General Meeting)
- Deadline for candidates to withdraw from any Table Officer positions
- Deadline to post an election campaign ad on FCM’s website
- FCM Annual General Meeting
- Election of Table Officers
- Election of Board Members
- Memorandum to FCM Municipal Members
- Important dates — FCM elections process
- FCM by-laws
- FCM Election Procedures
Note: All candidates registered by May 17 will have the opportunity to post an election campaign ad on FCM´s website (deadline: May 24, 2019). Please complete this submission form, along with a photo (.jpg format) if you wish to include one with your ad.
Candidates seeking election to the Board may run 'from the floor' during their provincial or territorial meetings on June 2, 2019; however, they must show their consent form and official resolution before their nomination can be considered and their name added to the ballot list.