As a born and raised Red Deerian, my wife Betty, our two daughters and I know what it is like to live in both a rural and urban setting. My parents emigrated from China in the early 1950s and witnessed Canada’s evolution as it became a more welcoming and inclusive nation. My parents began their life in Canada with very little material possessions; it was the wealth of their entrepreneurial spirit that provided the hope and vision for a better family life.
Being raised in that environment provided me with a strong appreciation and respect for hard work, patience, education and family values. My professional career models this, as I have held Directorships with national corporations over the last two decades: Jim Pattison (The News Group), Home Depot and Eye Recommend.
My passion for public service comes from a fundamental principle of striving to build better communities.
My public service includes:
- Chair of Red Deer Public Schools,
- Two-term City Councillor,
- President of the Red Deer & District Chinese Community, and
- Serving on 11 different community boards and committees.
With respect to FCM, I have had the privilege to serve as a Board Director in the past, and have actively participated on six FCM committees.
My commitment as an FCM Board member:
- Use my skills and background to contribute to the strength of the FCM Board
- I have a passion and drive to serve the public interest, to stand up for others, and to use what I have learned and experienced to continually work toward changing things for the better. My experience as an FCM Director, as well as several other community Boards and Council Committees, has provided me with the ability to take a broader view of issues, to look beyond our borders and to assess the impact that decisions may have.
My commitment to the FCM Board:
- Build and maintain healthy relationships with members and all orders of government
- As a Board Member with the Federation of Canadian Municipalities, I have been a strong voice for all municipalities across this great nation. I am committed to growing our organization using the values of transparency, responsibility, integrity and innovation. I believe the core of good government is engaging citizens in partnerships, consulting with stakeholders and working with local businesses.
Thank you for your support and your vote to re-elect me as a Director on the FCM Board.