The Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) is the national voice of municipal governments, representing the interests of cities and communities with the federal government. FCM’s Strategic Plan calls upon FCM to work collaboratively to: a) expand national understanding and support of the role local governments play in meeting national objectives; b) shape the national agenda by influencing decision-makers and opinion-leaders to ensure that the interests of municipalities are met or exceeded; c) build capacity and knowledge, thereby encouraging initiative and innovation, which in turn helps local governments rise to the challenges they face; and d) share its knowledge and experience on the world’s stage, so that others may improve the quality of life in their communities.
Reporting to the Director, Private Sector Partnership Development, the Account Manager, Sponsorship and Partnership Development is responsible for managing the FCM sponsorship program implementation. This includes developing new business opportunities and engaging with key partners from the corporate community to sustain the revenue generation objectives in alignment with FCM's strategic goals while managing the risks and protecting the FCM brand. The role also involves designing new sponsorship program assets and strategies for corporate sector involvement, develop and write customized sponsorship proposals, negotiate and coordinate agreements.
The Account Manager, Sponsorship and Partnership Development works in very close collaboration with FCM senior managers from all departments of FCM for the implementation of the sponsorship strategy and development of new assets.
- Contributes to the creation of new sponsorship assets, including the associated benefits and valuation process, in keeping with the growth (or decline) of the organization and its sponsorship properties.
- Contributes to the management of the portfolio of sponsorship assets, and ensures that an up-to-date sponsorship inventory of assets and benefits is in place for FCM’s sponsorship program (events, programs, departments, etc).
- Develops renewal strategies for long term corporate partners which offer a different, and evolving, level of engagement with FCM and the membership
- Develops fulfillment reports which showcase measurement (ROI) and effectiveness of the sponsorship strategy and the impacts of the investment as it relates to the business objectives for all major milestones of each of FCM’s Partners/sponsors programs
- Develops solutions and proposals (including the creative approach and writing) for each corporate sector prospect based on specific corporate business goals, in keeping with FCM's sponsorship policy, political landscape and agenda, as well as the FCM Brand.
- Collaborates with the Communications and FCM Programs departments on the development and delivery of each sponsorship asset, which support the sponsorship policy and strategy.
- Contributes to the creation, development and evaluation of sponsorship programs and engagement initiatives to support the sponsorship goals and objectives of FCM
- Organizes, plans and leads meetings with national corporate sector prospects and their senior management teams to establish synergies between FCM and the prospects, including "Discovery sessions" to promote FCM's work, programs and membership, as well as define the business objectives which will be the basis for collaboration.
- Develops and nurtures critical partnerships and relationships and fosters collaborative efforts among key partners, stakeholders and subgroups of FCM members and staff for the mutual benefit of FCM and its partners. Builds and coordinates substantive and ongoing relationships with senior contacts in the corporate sector.
Knowledge and Experience
- Post secondary education diploma/degree or a combination of experience and education that would be considered equivalent in the field of relationship management and business development;
- 5 years’ experience working within a related field such as sponsorship, business development or relationship management;
- Political acumen at the federal and municipal level will be considered a strong asset;
- Strong capacity for self-directed and independent work;
- Knowledge and experience of Canadian municipal structures and functions will be considered an asset;
- Experience working with senior level executives from the corporate sector;
- Strong strategic thinking and negotiation skills;
- Extensive knowledge and experience and demonstrated track record of designing corporate sponsorship and partnership initiatives, including preparing & writing proposals, budgets and agreements, as well as measuring results;
- Ability to develop and maintain a network of senior contacts and companies with an interest in the municipal government in Canada;
- Strategic and creative thinker and leader with a demonstrated track record of taking initiative and developing and maintaining productive sponsorship programs aimed at delivering results oriented objectives within the context of an overall strategy and policy;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in both French & English will be considered a strong asset.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however we will only contact those selected for an interview. All the applications will be kept on file for six months following the hiring.