The cornerstone of the FCM Programs department is the Green Municipal Fund™ (GMF), a $1.7 billion permanent endowment from the Government of Canada. As a leading catalyst for innovation at the local level, GMF offers funding (loans and grants) and knowledge to local governments and their partners for sustainable municipal initiatives designed to support communities to improve air, water, soil quality and to protect the climate. Through GMF, municipalities have built better transportation assets; constructed efficient and resilient buildings; diverted waste from landfill; made previously unusable land available for development; and improved soil and water quality. GMF also strengthens the capacity of Canadian municipalities to plan and invest in innovative, sustainable infrastructure, thereby saving millions of dollars for taxpayers and creating jobs that contribute to local economies. GMF shares the lessons and expertise gained from these initiatives through skills-enhancement, training and knowledge-sharing activities including case studies, manuals and reports, webinars, the FCM Sustainable Communities Awards and the FCM Sustainable Communities Conference. These activities help other communities replicate the successes of GMF-funded initiatives, multiplying the benefits of those initiatives across the country.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, GMF Special Projects, the Advisor helps advance GMF by leading GMF internal organizational effectiveness initiatives. Through these initiatives, the Advisor identifies, implements, promotes and supports modern and efficient ways of working. The Advisor proactively identifies needs, adapts management systems, GMF organizational practices and operational tools and implements modern, timely and cost-effective solutions that maximizes GMF’s performance and ensures optimal delivery of GMF programming. The incumbent also provides strategic advice to senior management, ensuring harmonization, buy-in, efficacy and sustainment of initiatives to fulfill the common and respective mandates of each GMF units.
The role is also responsible for ensuring optimal communication with all internal stakeholders as well as designs and delivers training to ensure adoption of new operational processes and tools. The Advisor also serves as a project manager for strategic, high-impact, cross-functional initiatives that require robust project management skill and experience.
- Oversees and leads organizational improvement initiatives that deliver modern, timely and cost-effective solutions maximizing GMF’s performance and empower staff.
- Builds surveys, conducts research, and facilitates consultation sessions to identify operational needs of the GMF team.
- Provides recommendations to GMF senior management based on needs analysis and best practices to improve cross-cutting operational efficiency.
- Leads the implementation of GMF initiatives in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Designs and implements appropriate staff and management level responses to ensure change initiatives remain relevant, GMF units remain engaged and best practices are observed (e.g. Working Group).
- Designs and implements communication strategies designed to enable organizational change.
- Monitors adoption and uptake of recommended solutions to ensure sustainment of change initiatives.
- Designs evaluation metrics to measure effectiveness of change initiatives and pro-actively makes adjustments as required.
- Act as primary contact to address any issues and queries on organizational effectiveness initiatives.
- Manages other GMF-wide projects, as well as other select departmental initiatives in support of strategic objectives, ensuring timely coordination among GMF units and other FCM stakeholders as needed.
- Works with numerous internal stakeholders, including senior management, ensuring project goals are met and executed efficiently.
- Creates and facilitates GMF coaching and training sessions (including e-learning programming using a Learning Management System) for various audiences, including senior management leadership.
- Defines course objectives, scope and sequence.
- Builds and manages training content.
- Develops and monitors course performance metrics.
- Proactively evaluates course functionality, its efficiency and makes adjustment to course content and structure as needed.
- Provides advice to the Special Projects team on effective design, delivery and evaluation of training activities.
- Participates on internal committees and working groups, as required, in order to develop and maintain relationships and to lead thoughtful dialogue.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- Degree in business administration, communications or a related discipline with a minimum of 5 years related experience.
- Knowledge of processes, principles, methodologies and best practices in organizational effectiveness, change management and project management.
- Experience in designing, delivering and evaluating training programs, including experience with a Learning Management System.
- Demonstrated project management experience, including people management, budgeting, work planning and monitoring.
- Experience in leading working groups.
- Able to effectively lead strategic meetings with senior and professional audiences in order to generate buy-in for new ideas and improved performance.
- Superior ability to work in a highly collaborative, dynamic team in a results-focused, fast paced client service environment.
- Ability to work independently with limited oversight and guidance.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment with conflicting priorities and tight deadlines.
- Strong communication, organizational, analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills with attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required, including strong presentation skills.
- Ability to work in both official languages (English and French) is considered an asset.
The benefits of joining the FCM team include summer hours (Fridays off between July 1st and Labour Day); office facilities located in the ByWard Market; FCM’s commitment to employee development and a competitive range of employee benefits and services. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, FCM is currently under a work from home protocol. The successful candidate must have the ability to work from home until at least January 2021.
For additional information on this posting, or for further information on FCM, access our website at www.fcm.ca.
Visit the careers section of our website to apply. Deadline for applications is December 2, 2020
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, we will only contact those selected for an interview. All the applications will be kept on file for six months following the hiring.