The Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) is the national voice of municipal governments, representing the interests of cities and communities with the federal government. FCM’s Strategic Plan calls upon FCM to work collaboratively to: a) expand national understanding and support of the role local governments play in meeting national objectives; b) shape the national agenda by influencing decision-makers and opinion-leaders to ensure that the interests of municipalities are met or exceeded; c) build capacity and knowledge, thereby encouraging initiative and innovation, which in turn helps local governments rise to the challenges they face; and d) share its knowledge and experience on the world’s stage, so that others may improve the quality of life in their communities.
Responsible for the FCM accounts payable cycle including timely and accurate input of accounts payable invoices, preparation of payment batches, the regular follow up with vendors regarding payment of outstanding and overdue invoices, vendor invoice reconciliation, purchase order processing, payments, balance sheet reporting and analysis and reconciliation of a variety of corporate accounts and travel credit cards.
- Reviews invoices, purchase orders, credit card and employee expenses for completeness and accuracy, records all accounts payable transactions promptly to the accounts payable module of the accounting system in accordance with to the established accounts payable procedures.
- Records domestic and international wire transfers, issues weekly electronic fund transfer payment batches as approved by signing officers, distributes electronic remittances, and processes the payments in the bank.
- Reconciles the corporate travel credit cards on a weekly basis including, reviewing charges, matching the data with the supporting evidence documentation, following up on missing or incomplete information.
- Reviews balance sheet accounts monthly including reconciliation of accounts payable sub-ledger to general ledger accounts, identifies and investigates variances, and submits a monthly reconciliation report to the Senior Finance Manager, Operations.
- Maintains accuracy of internal controls and established accounts payable processes.
- Liaises with vendors regarding payment discrepancies, reconciles vendor statements.
- Maintains accurate records and the filing of accounts payable documents in the digital filing system for the purpose of ensuring the availability of documentation and compliance with established policies.
- Participates in year-end, and yearly audit activities.
- Provides timely response to internal/external inquiries and requests.
- Manages the corporate petty cash including processing requests and reconciling account.
- Inputs and maintains data for accurate vendor records.
- Assists team members and other departments with accounts payable inquiries and other projects as needed.
- Ensures credit is received for outstanding memos.
- Assists with other projects as required.
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or post-secondary certificate/diploma in accounting or finance or equivalent work experience
- A minimum of 2-3 years practical experience in an accounting support role
- Strong working knowledge and experience with accounting practices and procedures, specifically related to accounts payable, balance sheet and general ledger activities.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, and familiarity and experience with accounting software packages.
- Experience with Microsoft Great Plains or similar accounting software is an asset. Experience with accounts payable automation software is an asset.
- Excellent problem analysis, assessment and resolution/decision making skills – strong attention to detail.
- Self-starter who is well-organized, takes initiatives, and can work independently.
- Must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills with ability to work effectively with all levels of management and employees.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task and anticipate needs in a fast-paced environment with some tight deadlines/turnaround times.
- The ability to work in both official languages (English and French) is an asset.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however we will only contact those selected for an interview. All the applications will be kept in file for six month following the hiring.