Reporting to the Finance Manager, Operations, the Financial Analyst coordinates, analyses and reports on the finance and accounting activities of the various departments and externally funded programs, including: participating in the preparation and monitoring of annual departmental budgets, analyzing financial results, reporting major variances to the departmental Managers/Directors and ensuring implementation and compliance with internal controls, policies and procedures.
- In conjunction with the Finance Manager and departmental Managers/Director, develops the annual departmental budgets as well as various project budgets.
- Prepares monthly and quarterly financial reports including analyzing financial results, explaining any major discrepancies against budget, and presenting financial results to departmental Managers/Directors.
- Contributes to the annual external audit processes, preparing working papers, reports and variance analysis.
- Reviews contracts and contribution agreements for the departments to identify areas of potential risk to the organization’s interests.
- Reviews invoices and expense claims for respective departments to ensure accuracy of information and proper policy and procedures are followed.
- Prepares month end journal entries and analyzes some balance sheet accounts on a monthly basis (intercompany, mortgage, investments, fixed assets).
- Distributes monthly financial statements to departments and gathers financial information from Finance department to include in the monthly finance report.
- Continually monitors the effectiveness and efficiency of accounting policies and procedures and make recommendations to ensure appropriate internal controls are in place and in compliance with existing policies.
- Provides financial support to the externally funded National Program team (proposals, budgets, monitoring, reporting, etc.)
- Provides finance training to staff of respective departments as needed.
- Supports the Senior Director of Finance with Board quarterly reporting (Results of Operations).
Knowledge and Experience
- Requires strong knowledge of accounting and financial analysis, including budget preparation, analysis and management and the preparation and analysis of financial statements and reports, typically acquired through post-secondary education in accounting or finance.
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of internal and external stakeholders; excellent client service and communication skills.
- Minimum of 5 years relevant experience working in an accounting department.
- In-depth knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Excel, PowerPoint and experience with accounting software and a database (CRM).
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and meet regular deadlines.
- Highly organized and the ability to work unsupervised
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail is essential
- The ability to work in both official languages (English and French) is preferred.
- The ability to work in both official languages (English and French) is an asset.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however we will only contact those selected for an interview. All the applications will be kept on file for six months following the hiring.