The Governance and Membership(G&M) team resides within the CEO Office and is responsible for providing technical expertise and leadership of the FCM’s governance oversight, review and management. This team strives to facilitate the highest level of engagement, communication, and collaboration between and among FCM’s ambitious and professional Senior Leadership Team and the FCM’s equally ambitious and engaged Board of Directors, Executive Committee and Table Officers. The G&M team is responsible for leading key annual governance milestones including Board elections and the Annual General Meeting, and developing, implementing, and monitoring medium and long-term milestones including a governance review, the Board’s engagement in the development of FCM’s Strategic Plan and Anti-Racism and Equity strategy. The team is also responsible for the ongoing review of, and organizational compliance with, FCM bylaws and governance policies.
The Governance and Membership team works closely with the Outreach and Engagement Unit of FCM’s Policy and Public Affairs department, and the CEO Office colleagues, to support targeted member and stakeholder engagement for the CEO and the FCM President. The team also provides strategic and secretariat support to the Executive Committee, Table Officers and FCM President.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Governance and Membership, the Manager, Governance and Membership (the Manager) will lead the planning and development FCM’s next comprehensive governance review to innovate and improve FCM’s governance structures and practices and better position the Board and its leadership to serve the membership through the rapidly changing municipal landscape and going forward. The Manager is responsible for leading and overseeing day to day processes and projects that drive and support FCM’s governance developing and implementing engagement and orientation strategies to improve and support Board, Executive and FCM’s Senior Leadership governance capacity and performance; contributing to the CEO’s member engagement and outreach strategies; and overseeing relevant board governance committees and working groups. The Manager is also responsible for managing and supporting the Governance Coordinator who is responsible for secretariate support for the Table Officers and Executive Committee.
- In collaboration with the Senior Director, supports the strategic engagement, orientation and onboarding of board Directors and committee members so that FCM’s board is able to excel in its fiduciary obligations and strategic objectives, and maximize its full potential;
- Leads the delivery of the Board of Directors’ and Table Officers’ annual elections and board and committee appointments, providing project management to coordinate the needed cross-departmental effort to execute FCM’s Elections Procedures and committee appointment process;
- In collaboration with Senior Director, Governance and Membership, engage the Governance Working Group and the Board and BCMC leadership in the planning, development and execution of a comprehensive governance review to ensure FCM’s Board and its caucuses, committees and forums are best positioned to engage and collaborate to deliver for FCM’s members in a rapidly changing municipal landscape.
- Support the governance related work of the Standing Committee on Anti-Racism and Equity and facilitate collaboration with the Governance Working Group.
- Oversees and supports the key FCM board governance committees, the Standing Committee on Elections and the Governance Working Group, including drafting meeting agendas, reports and memos, undertaking research and providing analysis and recommendations as needed;
- Maintains up-to -date knowledge and understanding of Canadian and global best practices and innovative approaches in high-performing, not-for-profit boards and builds these into FCM’s continuous governance improvement approach;
- Supports the monitoring and review of FCM bylaws, our Code of Ethical Conduct, Harassment Policy and other governance policies, to ensure FCM is meeting high governance standards and implementing best governance practices;
- Responsible for the development of a comprehensive performance measurement framework and monitoring system for governance;
- Project manages the Annual General Meeting including agenda development, notices to Members, President reports and presentations, and coordinates the teams support for Table Officers and Executive Committee responsibilities at the AGM;
- In collaboration with the Senior Director of Governance and Membership and the Chief of Staff, supports the CEO and President’s targeted member and stakeholder engagement strategies;
- Works with governance leads across the organization to ensure corporate alignment and cross departmental collaboration; and
- Contributes to the CEO Office’s departmental and corporate planning processes; and leads and implements other special projects, research and analysis assigned by the Senior Director, as required.
Knowledge and Experience
- University degree or college diploma with minimum 7 years of experience, with increasing levels of responsibility in project management, not-for-profit or corporate governance, organizational development or other relevant field, with two or more years at the management level including people management roles;
- In-depth knowledge and experience in the areas of member-based associations and corporate and not-for-profit governance as well as performance management;
- Experience managing relationships with key stakeholders (elected officials, and private not-for-profit organizations);
- Exceptional strategic/conceptual skills and proven project management skills;
- Knowledge of the Canadian municipal sector;
- Results-oriented, decisive, organized, ability to meet timelines;
- Exceptional leading and initiating skills; proactively develop strategies, align resources, and deliver results to meet future needs;
- Exceptional writing and communicating skills;
- Excellent judgment and decision-making skills, including political acumen;
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills including the ability to influence to get results;
- Strong people leadership skills (influencing, coaching, mentoring, motivating); and
- Ability to delegate, monitor and follow up on projects.
- The ability to work in a bilingual environment (French and English) is required.
The benefits of joining the FCM team include summer hours (Fridays off between July 1st and Labour Day); office facilities located in the ByWard Market; FCM’s commitment to employee development and a competitive range of employee benefits and services. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, FCM is currently under a temporary work from home protocol until further notice. The successful candidate must have the ability to work from home during this period.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, we will only contact those selected for an interview. All the applications will be kept on file for six months following the hiring.