Since 1987, FCM has been working in partnership with the Government of Canada through Global Affairs Canada (GAC) to share Canadian municipal expertise with developing countries to strengthen local governance, service delivery, and international municipal relations. FCM’s programming department, FCM Programs, is responsible for managing FCM’s Canadian and international programs and coordinating its international relations.
FCM will be implementing a $26M six-year project called Partners for Municipal Innovation – Women in Local Leadership (PMI-WILL). The initiative is a six-year (2021-27) project focused on advancing women’s leadership in local government in selected countries in Africa and Asia. It aims to improve the lives of women and girls, in particular from marginalized communities, in five countries: Benin, Cambodia, Ghana, Sri Lanka, and Zambia. By increasing women’s capacity to lead in local governance, and local governments’ capacities to deliver inclusive services, PMI-WILL will contribute to poverty reduction in 15 to 20 communities across the five countries by improving the delivery of local services that meet women’s needs.
Under the direction of the Project Manager and reporting to the Program Operations Advisor, the Project Assistant is responsible to provide administrative, logistical and organizational support for the assigned project. S/he acts as the central point of contact for enquiries for information and services related to this project.
- Acts as the central point for administrative and logistics support related to the assigned project, including responding to enquiries or transferring them to appropriate parties. In coordination with the Project Manager, liaises with the project staff, FCM corporate services (Finance, Information Technology, People & Culture), mission participants and partners, and follows-up on missing information, documentation or other requests.
- Organizes logistics for project activities such as meetings, workshops, study tours, job shadowing programs, Canadian and/or International missions, information sessions and special activities, in coordination with project staff, partners and host municipalities.
- Reviews, processes (codes, validates, verifies) and submits invoices, expense claims and cheque requisitions to the Finance department. May be required to track expenditures against budget, collect information and provide input for annual budget planning.
- Coordinates all travel arrangements related to the project (accommodation, transportation, insurance, advances, etc.) for staff, consultants and volunteers; advises partners, volunteers and consultants on FCM and Treasury Board travel policy and procedures; and if pertinent, liaises with Ghana office and partner Local Government Associations (LGA’s) to ensure coordination of international travel arrangements.
- Provides administrative support for the project, including: drafting, editing and/or proofreading a variety of documents; and maintaining electronic copy of project documentation (i.e. travelers’ profile, mission checklists, contact information, copies of passports, insurance forms, biographies, etc.) for effective and efficient retrieval of information.
- Supports the capacity development of partners and staff, if applicable, in matters related to administration, logistics, policy interpretation and implementation of administrative systems and tools, in order to ensure alignment with FCM practices.
- May also provide support for project management functions (e.g. preparation and monitoring of annual plans and budgets, recruitment and selection of volunteers, etc.).
- Participates in administrative and operations issues coordination group and provides back-up support for other Project Assistants as a member of a project administrative pool, on an as needed basis.
- Liaises with both FCM staff and external service providers on matters related to coordinating and following up on translation and production of documents, coordinating and confirming travel arrangements, and scheduling and logistics coordination for meetings and events.
- May be called upon to participate in cross-functional teamwork for FCM Programs Department and/or for FCM organization initiatives
- Participates on FCM committees to provide feedback and regular updates on administrative issues and may be required to attend internal meetings on behalf of the Project Manager, which involves providing updates on project activities.
Knowledge and Experience
- Post-secondary education in an administrative, office support or other relevant discipline.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in an administrative role or equivalent related education/experience.
- Strong knowledge of administrative practices and processes (e.g. electronic file management, templates and business documents formats).
- Strong knowledge of business support processes and tools, computer business applications (Microsoft Office suite).
- Good organizational, interpersonal and communication skills, and a professional attitude in order to coordinate work with various stakeholders and senior level contacts.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines/turnaround times.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, discretion and tact when dealing with sensitive information.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Experience working in international programs or overseas is an asset.
- Ability to work with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Understanding of financial management principles.
- Understanding of donor-funded guidelines and contractual obligations.
- Fluency in English and French (oral and written) is essential.
The benefits of joining the FCM team include summer hours (Fridays off between July 1st and Labour Day); office facilities located in the ByWard Market; FCM’s commitment to employee development and a competitive range of employee benefits and services. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, FCM is currently under a temporary work from home protocol until further notice. The successful candidate must have the ability to work from home during this period.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, we will only contact those selected for an interview. All the applications will be kept on file for six months following the hiring.