The Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) is the national voice of municipal government. Since 1901, FCM has been improving the quality of life in all communities by promoting strong, effective and accountable municipal government. At the international level, FCM assumes a leadership role representing Canadian interests by establishing links with municipal associations globally. FCM is also committed to protecting the environment through pollution prevention and sustainable community development. FCM serves constituents in both official languages.
The Senior Legal Counsel reports to the General Counsel and contributes to the overall success of the organization by supporting its established operations as well as its expanding activities. The Senior Legal Counsel works with the FCM’s Green Municipal Fund (GMF) operational teams to assist in the implementation of solutions in support of the organization’s strategy while ensuring legal and regulatory compliance, identifying and mitigating risks and legal issues and playing a critical role in developing processes as well as drafting contract templates, customizing FCM and third party agreements and supporting contract negotiations.
- Identifies and analyzes legal aspects of current and future corporate, organizational and customer service issues and provides appropriate recommendations to FCM staff regarding those issues.
- Advises senior management, in the development of external and internal positions, policies, procedures, operations and transactions related to the GMF, manages legal risks within acceptable levels in an efficient and cost effective manner and ensures that the GMF complies with its governing documents (i.e. GMF Funding agreement) and applicable legislation.
- Under the direction of the General Counsel, manages the legal aspects of GMF contracts, including the negotiation, structuring, drafting, and amendments of those contracts.
- Establishes and monitors all legal policies and procedures for GMF staff including agreement templates, guidelines and interpretation tools, to ensure continuous improvement and compliance with GMF funding agreement and applicable legislation.
- Participates as required in cross-functional team project work for FCM-wide initiatives.
- Preparation of contract templates in English and French for the GMF as well as other FCM activities.
- Other duties as required
Knowledge and Experience
- Baccalaureate of Laws (LL.B.) or equivalent from a recognized and accredited university;
- License to practice law in Canada;
- 3-7 years of corporate/commercial experience from a major law firm or organization where the candidate obtained solid commercial law experience including excellent contract drafting, analytical, writing, and negotiation skills;
- Experience with commercial transactions, including structuring, drafting and negotiating financing and/or loan agreements;
- Knowledge of the law as it applies to intellectual property ownership/licensing, and municipal law would be an asset;
- Knowledge of the law as it applies to not-for-profit organizations and service organizations.
- Demonstrated experience in drafting commercial agreements in English and French is a strong asset;
- Ability to quickly analyze and synthesize complex situations and creatively problem solve;
- Capable of building relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders including senior management, staff and other third parties (e.g. consultants, contractors, partners, etc.);
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment including dealing effectively with competing priorities.
- The ability to work fluently in French and in English (both written and spoken) is a strong asset.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however we will only contact those selected for an interview. All the applications will be kept on file for six months following the hiring.