The Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) is the national voice of municipal government. Since 1901, FCM has been improving the quality of life in all communities by promoting strong, effective and accountable municipal government. With almost 2,000 members, FCM represents the interests of municipalities on policy and program matters that fall within federal jurisdiction.
Nationally, FCM partners with various federal departments and agencies to implement capacity building programs to provide an opportunity for Canadian municipalities to share know-how and resources domestically. Internationally, FCM helps local governments around the world develop their capacity to deliver basic services, promote economic growth and encourage the participation of citizens in planning and decision making.
FCM aspires to be an organization that is deeply respectful, collaborative, empowering and transparent in our work. We have a commitment and passion for strengthening Canada by achieving results for our communities, our cities and our workplace, and by sharing our knowledge and experience on the world’s stage, so that others may improve the quality of life in their communities.
Reporting to the Information Technology (IT) Director and working under the Senior System and Network Administrator’s functional leadership, the Service Desk Agent is responsible for providing 1st level helpdesk and deskside support to all internal IT users. The Service Desk Agent is responsible for the follow-up and resolution of Tier-1 (first level) helpdesk/deskside issues, questions or problems; and for the escalation of these to Tier-2 support when required. The Service Desk Agent is also responsible for IT asset lifecycle management (ie: maintaining and updating hardware and software inventories). The Service Desk Agent also works in close collaboration with the System Administrator and the other Service Desk Agents to ensure optimal quality assurance and control with respect to helpdesk and deskside services. Some short distance travel (usually on foot) to a sister site in downtown Ottawa will be required.
- Maintain the IT Service Desk by providing first line IT support for all internal staff, including probing to clarify issues, troubleshooting, resolving issues, testing fixes, documenting and escalating more complex matters to higher levels
- Prioritize, triage, assign and resolve all 1st level incidents, issues and problems; and document these in FCM’s request tracking system
- When required, escalate incidents, issues and problems to proper level or resources; and document these in FCM’s request tracking system
- Ensure that all tickets and work orders are completed in accordance with IT’s Service Level Agreements (SLAs) and quality service objectives
- Ensure proper and timely follow-up of tickets and work orders with clients
- Enter detailed request resolution information for all assigned requests
- Provide documentation, FAQ, self-service training as required
- Act as Front line/Public Relations for IT Department
- Provide deskside, as well as remote support to ensure the continued productivity and efficiency of FCM staff. This includes phone and telecommunication devices and services, as well as printers, multi-function photocopiers
- Install and support FCM standard software/hardware according to IT standard procedures
- Inform users of and help apply general IT and information security concepts
- Create/delete/modify IT user accounts (AD, Exchange, etc.) of staff starting or leaving FCM.
- Monitor and update IT inventory (ex.: workstations, monitors, phones, telecommunication devices, software licences, etc.) to ensure optimal IT asset lifecycle management
- Ensure proper disposal of IT inventory in accordance with internal policies and procedures
- Backup and support other IT team members as required
- Keep current with new innovations in the IT world and assess impacts on FCM
- Identify ways to improve/streamline existing work processes/solutions associated to IT customer service
- Ensure and apply best safety practices and standards to prevent work injuries to self and others
- Perform any other related duties as assigned
Knowledge and Experience
- Minimum of 3 years in an IT customer front line service environment
- Strong ability to diagnose, support and troubleshoot software and hardware problems of user facing technology (laptop, tablets and mobile devices)
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Windows 10 in an Active Directory environment
- Knowledge in the operation and support of Microsoft Office 2016 and Office Pro Plus 365
- Ability to document and analyze IT users’ requests and to follow-up on these
- Proven ability to be organized and effectively handle multiple requests
- Experience in identifying training opportunities and providing “links to self-help” or “in-house” user training
- Ability to work independently with little supervision as well as in a team environment
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and superior customer-oriented attitude and approach
- Excellent listening, written and verbal communication skills
- Strong technical ability coupled with the aptitude to be self-directed in prioritizing problem solving
- Must exhibit a high level of patience
- Ability to easily adapt to change and innovation
- Ability to provide support in both official languages (English and French)
- A+ Certification
- Familiar with Service-Now and SmartDeploy software
- Developing and working with an IT Service Catalogue and client SLAs
- SharePoint content management experience
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 products and services including SharePoint Online and Microsoft Teams
We thank all candidates for their interest; however we will only contact those selected for an interview. All the applications will be kept on file for six months following the hiring.