To respond to climate change in a holistic way, municipalities require high quality adaptation plans that reflect input from their communities. In January 2018, ICLEI — Local Governments for Sustainability (ICLEI Canada) was funded by the Municipalities for Climate Innovation Program to lead the Adaptation Changemakers project.
The Adaptation Changemakers project brought together municipalities from across the country to work on community-based, collaborative climate change adaptation plans and develop climate change adaptation resources.
- District of Ucluelet, BC
- Town of Qualicum Beach, BC
- City of Prince George, BC
- Town of Caledon, ON
- City of Windsor, ON
- City of Peterborough, ON
- Town of Portugal Cove – St. Phillip’s, NL
- Town of Conception Bay South, NL
About the climate change adaptation resources
The three resources developed as part of the Adaptation Changemakers project offer municipalities examples of climate change adaptation plans, reflecting a range of community sizes and regions. They provide lessons learned for other municipalities to benefit from when looking to develop their own adaptation strategies.
"Participating in the Changemakers program with ICLEI Canada gave us access to advice and resources to develop the Town’s first adaptation plan, including understanding the local implications of future climatic changes, identifying the right corporate and community stakeholders to consult, developing actions to respond to those climate impacts, and supporting the draft of a final plan."
– Alexandra Service, Climate Change Specialist, Town of Caledon
Develop your climate change adaptation plan
These Changemaker climate adaptation resources are designed to help municipalities adapt to the impacts of climate change. By reflecting on these plans, your municipality can:
- Gain insights into what makes an effective adaptation plan
- Learn about the actions municipalities can take to build resilience
- Reveal some of the local stakeholders that can provide important contributions to your plan
- Create an ambition to act in their community
Access the resources:
- Community adaptation and resilience plans
- Adaptation Changemakers - Project overview and impact
- Our Resilient Future: A collection of opinion pieces from thought-leaders across the country
Who are these resources for?
Municipal practitioners from your planning, engineering and finance departments as well as those working in sustainability, resilience and climate change will find these resources particularly useful.
Executive Director, ICLEI Canada