Canada’s rural communities are essential to this country’s economy and quality of life. They drive key industries—from agriculture to manufacturing to natural resources—and provide vital services that families and workers need. All that while driving nearly one-third of Canada’s economy.
Rural communities also face unique challenges—geography, climate, demographics, and more. These challenges can’t be solved with cookie-cutter approaches. Local leaders are tackling them head-on, making the most of the outdated tools available.
FCM is calling on Parliament to commit to building a "rural lens" into the heart of the federal government—bringing rural realities to the table, and modernizing federal tools to empower rural leaders to build better lives.
Rural issues matter to us all. If Canada is going to reach its full potential, every community needs the right tools and opportunities to thrive.
We are calling on the federal government to:
- Prioritize rural high-speed Internet
- Continue incorporating a “rurallens” into the heart of government
- Ensure a new permanent transitfunding mechanism includesa merit-based component toaddress challenges that can’tbe met by ridership-based allocations alone—including regionalbus, para-transit and seniorsshuttle services.
- Empower rural communities toadapt to climate extremes byadopting FCM’s recommendationsfor immediate and long-term adaptation funding.
- Support greater immigration andeconomic growth in rural communities.
- Implement a Tourism Community Infrastructure Fund, to support local needs of communities that rely on tourism.
Read our full set of recommendations on how the federal government can better support rural Canada.