If you have questions or are having trouble with a particular step in the process, reach out! Email us so we can better assist you. Once received, we’ll be in touch within 48 hours.
We fund capital projects that capture and treat all wastewater in a target area to at least secondary standards using septic system technologies. This funding helps Canadian cities and communities of all sizes protect local bodies of water through wastewater treatment.
Your capital project must treat all wastewater in a target area to at least secondary standards or their equivalent. It may involve one or several new build or retrofit options. Business-as-usual projects, such as replacing septic tanks with the same system, are not eligible.
Examples of what you might implement:
- Replacing septic tanks with more advanced septic treatment systems
- A system to process the effluent from multiple septic systems (for private residences or properties in which your municipality has an interest)
- Alternative financial models to accelerate the replacement of septic systems with advanced septic treatments (e.g., loans that are repaid through property taxes, financing through municipal environmental bonds)
Treat all wastewater collected from a septic system to at least secondary standards or their equivalent.
- Regular loans and grants: Receive a low-interest loan of up to $5 million and a grant worth up to 15% of the loan; cover up to 80% of your eligible costs.
- High-ranking project loans and grants: These qualify for a low-interest loan of up to $10 million and a grant worth up to 15% of the loan; cover up to 80% of your eligible costs.
Review the system requirements and instructions for using FCM's application forms, including details on how to submit your application.
Review the prerequisites and required supporting documents.
Review eligible and ineligible costs.
Ensure you have a detailed project budget in place.
- Confirm that you’re securing other funding sources for your project:
- Sample Letter Confirming Consultation with Provincial/Territorial Government (a prerequisite for all applicants, except municipal governments in Quebec)
- Sample Letter from Confirmed Funding Sources (required for each contributing organization, including the lead municipality)
Complete the initial review form.
FCM has an agreement with Quebec's Ministre des Affaires municipales et de l’Habitation (MAMH) that allows the ministry to review applications to GMF before they are submitted to FCM. Quebec municipalities applying for funding from GMF must follow the process below to submit their application to MAMH.
Once you have completed all the steps in the ‘How to apply’ section, submit your application by following the steps below. Note that the content of the links is available in French only.
- Save your application form using the appropriate file name.
- Save the application form to your local device with the following filename: FMV_ "your municipality's name"_ "date" (YYMMDD). For example: FMV_TownofABC_180228.pdf
Log in to the Portail gouvernemental des affaires municipales et régionales using your username and password. Select the program, "MAMH - Fonds municipal vert".
Upload and submit the application form through the portal. Note this is an external site.
- Receive confirmation from MAMH.
- MAMH assesses the applications to ensure that the projects submitted do not conflict with Quebec's government policies and directives. Once the assessment has been completed, MAMH informs the applicant of their decision and sends compliant applications to GMF for review.
- MAMH requires up to 15 working days to review the application and forward it to GMF.
- Receive approval from GMF.
- GMF will inform the applicant once they receive the application from MAMH and review the submission. If the application is approved for funding, an agreement between FCM and the applicant is prepared.