If you have questions or are having trouble with a particular step in the process, reach out! Email us so we can better assist you. Once received, we’ll be in touch within 48 hours.
We will fund the creation of plans that establish a vision and priority actions to support sustainable development at the neighbourhood-scale. This funding helps Canadian cities and communities of all sizes reduce their greenhouse gas emissions (GHGs) and improve their soil, water and air quality.
Your plan should build on your municipality’s sustainable community plan or strategy and may target a specific area or apply to the entire municipality. It must include the following:
- A sustainable development vision with environmental, social and economic objectives
- Actions required to achieve those objectives in each of the relevant areas such as energy, waste and water management, sustainable transportation, land use, brownfield remediation (e.g., developing policies, acquiring relevant permissions, purchasing/installing appropriate infrastructure)
- All tasks necessary to implementing a project; the person/job role responsible for each task; resources allocated to each task; an implementation timeline; estimated costs
We prefer initiatives that lead to concrete actions and demonstrate many of the following characteristics:
- The initiative incorporates the development or application of new knowledge, policy, practices or technologies
- There are built-in mechanisms that will encourage the replication of the initiative (e.g., a partnership with a regional government)
- The initiative has the potential to generate significant environmental results, as well as economic and social benefits
- The initiative leverages partnerships and other sources of funding
Review the system requirements and instructions for using FCM's application forms, including details on how to submit your application.
Review the prerequisites and required supporting documents.
Complete the project workbook.
- Confirm that you’re securing other funding sources for your project:
- Sample Letter Confirming Consultation with Provincial/Territorial Government (a prerequisite for all applicants, except municipal governments in Quebec)
- Sample Letter from Confirmed Funding Sources (required for each contributing organization, including the lead municipality)
Complete the application form.
FCM has an agreement with Quebec's Ministre des Affaires municipales et de l’Habitation (MAMH) that allows the ministry to review applications to GMF before they are submitted to FCM. Quebec municipalities applying for funding from GMF must follow the process below to submit their application to MAMH.
Once you have completed all the steps in the ‘How to apply’ section, submit your application by following the steps below. Note that the content of the links is available in French only.
- Save your application form using the appropriate file name.
- Save the application form to your local device with the following filename: FMV_ "your municipality's name"_ "date" (YYMMDD). For example: FMV_TownofABC_180228.pdf
Log in to the Portail gouvernemental des affaires municipales et régionales using your username and password. Select the program, "MAMH - Fonds municipal vert".
Upload and submit the application form through the portal. Note this is an external site.
- Receive confirmation from MAMH.
- MAMH assesses the applications to ensure that the projects submitted do not conflict with Quebec's government policies and directives. Once the assessment has been completed, MAMH informs the applicant of their decision and sends compliant applications to GMF for review.
- MAMH requires up to 15 working days to review the application and forward it to GMF.
- Receive approval from GMF.
- GMF will inform the applicant once they receive the application from MAMH and review the submission. If the application is approved for funding, an agreement between FCM and the applicant is prepared.