We provide planning grants to assist housing providers in the early stages of sustainable affordable housing development. This grant is intended to fund the development of deliverables required in applications for additional funding (e.g., GMF’s Sustainable Affordable Housing (SAH) study grant or the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation’s (CMHC) Seed Funding program) as you progress through the next stages of energy-efficient affordable housing projects.
This grant supports the initial planning phase of projects through a variety of activities based on the needs of the applicant. Activities supported by the planning grant may include:
- Project initiation: meetings, project scoping, work plan and timelines, background review, project visioning and goal setting
- Needs assessment: evaluating housing stock, resident support, preliminary review of building opportunities
- Basic financial assessment: review of current budget information, tasks and scope to assess magnitude of project costs and potential savings and funding sources
- Stakeholder engagement activities
- Evaluation of energy-efficient approaches
- Support to identify qualified design consultants and contractors
Time to complete projects
Projects are typically expected to be completed within two years of FCM approval.
Funding is stackable with CMHC’s Co-Investment Fund and other initiatives of the National Housing Strategy, as well as programs available through the provinces or territories.
We reserve the right to make changes to eligibility criteria and the types of projects funded through this offer.
Required supporting documents
- Detailed project budget
- Constating documents *
- Letter of confirmation regarding consultation with provincial or territorial government **
- Relevant letter(s) from confirmed source(s) of funding if available
- Resumes of the project team.
* Founding articles of incorporation of the lead applicant, in order to ensure eligibility.
** Consultation with the provincial or territorial government is a requirement of FCM’s Funding Agreement with the federal government. GMF will provide a template consultation letter and contact information.
- Download and review our application form, which includes application instructions.
- Note: For additional information on the SAH offer, please review our application guide.
- Ensure that you have the required supporting documentation.
- Complete the project workbook.
- Complete and submit the application form.
FCM has an agreement with Quebec's Ministère des Affaires municipales et de l’Habitation (MAMH) that allows the ministry to review applications to GMF before they are submitted to FCM. Quebec municipalities and municipally-owned corporations interested in applying should contact GMF.
Municipally-owned corporations are not included in the agreement with MAMH. They must obtain authorization from the Quebec government to secure an agreement with FCM, in accordance with the Ministère du Conseil exécutif. Private non-profit organizations can submit to GMF directly.