We fund feasibility studies to help municipalities and their partners explore and assess options for developing a local financing program for home energy upgrades to achieve triple bottom line benefits. Multiple municipalities and partners are encouraged to collaborate on regional opportunities, where appropriate.
These studies help to advance decision making by supporting municipalities in:
- Undertaking a baseline assessment of a community’s housing stock and energy upgrade potential
- Understanding the potential uptake for home energy upgrades in terms of number of anticipated projects and level of investment, and the potential local benefits that could be achieved (e.g. energy cost savings for residents, energy and GHG reductions, water savings, etc.)
- Understanding how financing may address homeowner barriers to energy efficiency and renewable energy upgrades (e.g. high upfront cost of improvements, split incentives, information gaps)
- Evaluating available financing models within the context of applicable municipal law, including the feasibility of establishing PACE-enabling legislation, or another innovative financing instrument
- Engaging with key municipal and external stakeholders on shared goals for a local financing initiative
- A community energy, sustainability or climate action plan, or similar, that identifies energy efficiency and renewable energy in the residential sector as a priority area for action, and has been approved by the municipal government’s council.
We reserve the right to make changes to eligibility criteria and the types of projects funded through this offer.
This funding has a three-stage application process:
- Stage 1: Review the application guide.
- Request an accessible version. Contact us.
- Stage 2: Complete the initial proposal form and submit it to GMF to confirm your eligibility as an applicant and the eligibility of your study. Applicants will receive a response within 15 business days of receipt of initial proposal.
- Stage 3: Eligible studies will be invited to submit a full application by October 30, 2020, 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time.
If you are not eligible to apply, sign up for our e-newsletter to stay informed about other funding opportunities.