We are accepting applications for one member to serve on the Investment Committee of the Green Municipal Fund (GMF) Advisory Council for 3 years (maximum of six years).
About this opportunity
The Green Municipal Fund (GMF) is a $625M endowment, operating as a self-sustaining and revolving fund. The Fund provides direct loans and grants to municipalities and municipal partners in various sectors, namely, Energy, Waste, Water and Brownfield projects that are innovative and would have a positive impact on reducing the Green House Gas emissions across the Canadian landscape. A portion of the Funds not funded as loans/grants remain invested in various asset classes as per the Investment Policy guidelines.
GMF's funded projects are inspiring and make a positive difference in communities in Canada and around the world. Committee membership is an outstanding way to support Canadian communities as they work to find solutions to environmental challenges.
The Investment Committee of the GMF Advisory Council oversees all matters related to the investment management of the GMF. In this capacity, it fulfills the investment oversight function required by the Funding Agreement and detailed by the GMF’s Investment Policy. The committee’s activities are part of the due diligence relied upon by the GMF Council and the FCM Board of Directors to reasonably assure that the Fund’s investments are being prudently managed, with due regard to strategy and risk management. The principal objective of all investment decisions is to preserve capital to meet future disbursement requirements while ensuring financial sustainability. The Investment Committee advises GMF Council on all matters related to the investment management of the Fund and reports and recommends decisions to the FCM Board of Directors.
As a GMF Investment Committee member, you will develop and share your professional knowledge and expertise and provide strategic leadership to the program.
Required skills and experience
- A collaborative personality with keen interest in supporting green initiatives
- The ability to think independently, act in the best interests of GMF, and be free from any real or perceived conflicts of interest
- The ability to participate actively in the committee’s work
- Extensive experience over varying market conditions in the institutional investment field, typically with an investment professional background
- Experience with and understanding of different investment management processes and strategies from an oversight perspective of long term assets
- A broad understanding of the various asset classes available to Investment Managers
- Familiarity with the role of actuaries in asset management strategies
- Familiarity with green investments as well as Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) considerations of responsible investments
What to expect
The GMF Investment Committee meets approximately 4 times per year. There are usually three face-to-face meetings held in Ottawa, and one virtual meeting. Attendance is expected at all scheduled meetings. Meeting dates are set at the beginning of each year and occasional ad hoc meetings may be held by telephone or web conference. Members agree to participate in such calls wherever possible to ensure a quorum.
We compensate GMF Investment Committee members with an honorarium. We reimburse standard expenses incurred while traveling (e.g., airfare, taxi, personal mileage) to a committee meeting (receipts required), and we pay directly for hotel accommodations and provide meals during meetings. GMF staff also helps with travel arrangements, including airline tickets.
How to apply
If you are interested in this position, fill in the GMF Investment Committee Expression of Interest form by midnight (EST) on Friday, March 15, 2019. All applications are confidential. Decisions will be made by the end of April 2019.