Aging housing stock, rising energy costs and increasing demand for affordable housing have created a unique challenge for municipalities and other affordable housing providers working to build better lives.
Our $300 million initiative offers support to local affordable housing providers – including municipal, not-for-profit organizations and housing co-ops – to retrofit existing affordable housing units, or construct energy efficient new builds that emit lower GHG emissions.
Our new funding and learning resources can help your community achieve the following:
- Retrofit existing units or construct new affordable housing
- Generate triple bottom line benefits:
- Reduce energy and GHG intensity
- Increase energy and housing affordability
- Improve building quality, and increase comfort, health and quality of life for residents
About the SAH offer
GMF offers support throughout the life cycle of an affordable housing construction project through five funding options:
- Planning: Early support to assist eligible housing providers to get started on achieving more sustainable affordable housing initiatives
- Studies: Assess the approaches needed to implement an eligible energy efficient pilot or capital project in detail
- Pilot projects: Test out a new or innovative approach on a small scale
- Retrofit capital projects: Complete the renovation of existing housing units with the installation of energy efficient technologies
- New-build capital projects: Construct new homes that are highly energy efficient
Read our application guide for details.
FCM’s Sustainable Affordable Housing initiative is delivered through our Green Municipal Fund and funded by the Government of Canada.