City of Thompson Sustainable Community Plan
To make this northern Manitoba mining community a healthier, more sustainable, and recreation-rich place to live, the City of Thompson adopted a plan to enhance the wintertime appeal of its parks.
Summer baseball diamonds and soccer fields will give way to new skating areas next to outdoor hockey rinks; cross-country ski loops and snowmobile trails will be extended; and the city will maintain its network of parkland walkways in winter months.
The parks initiative complements a wider city sustainable-growth plan that will see more high-density downtown housing, increased commercial diversity to reduce economic reliance on mining, infrastructure repairs, and greater protection of the fragile northern natural environment.
- Balancing demand for new houses in suburbs with more environmentally sound high-density housing downtown.
- Attracting new commerce and industry to reduce reliance on mining.
- Setting appropriate usage policies for different types of recreational space.
- Define what the community wants from the process before hiring a consultant to lead it.
- Create a detailed public-engagement strategy that goes beyond Facebook, blogging and other social media.
- To forestall fear of change, clearly explain what is meant by sustainable growth.
Partners and Collaborators
City of Thompson, MN