How are cities and communities of all sizes tackling their environmental challenges? Find out from our five-part webinar series on innovations and opportunities in municipal energy, waste, water, transportation and land use initiatives. You’ll hear from municipal champions who have successfully launched sustainability projects, and from Green Municipal Fund (GMF) advisors on how we can bring your projects to life.
In these five sessions you’ll learn about:
- Best practices in managing innovative environmental projects
- Leading solutions that provide social, economic and environmental benefits
- Emerging trends in land use, waste and water
- GMF funding opportunities for your sustainability initiative
The series was recorded in February and March of 2020. More details and links for each webinar recording can be found below.
Please note that recordings are in English only. Transcripts are available in French and English.
About the Green Municipal Fund
The Green Municipal Fund is a $1 billion program, delivered by the Federation of Canadian Municipalities and funded by the Government of Canada. Through its unique mix of training, resources and funding, GMF fuels local initiatives that build better lives for millions of Canadians while tackling pressing environmental and climate challenges.
1. From funding to feasibility: new possibilities in energy efficiency
Discover how GMF can support your energy efficiency initiative and take inspiration from Hamilton’s Ken Soble Tower Transformation —an innovative social housing transformation project that reduces GHG emissions through Passive House retrofit.
- Rachel Deslauriers, Manager, Programs Outreach, Green Municipal Fund, Federation of Canadian Municipalities
- Sean Botham, Senior Development Project Manager
- Tom Hunter, CEO, CityHousing Hamilton
2. Financing sustainable transportation: how GMF can help
Canadian communities are building clean transportation networks. Learn more about the Accelerate Kootenays electric vehicle charging network that facilitates connection in the region. Find out how you can use GMF funding to develop green transportation in your municipality.
- Patrick Kehoe, Advisor, Programs Outreach, Green Municipal Fund, FCM
- Megan Lohmann, Head of Community Energy Management, Community Energy Association
3. An integrated approach to sustainable land use management
Discover which high-impact practices can help your municipality use and manage land more sustainably and learn how Edmonton’s effort to integrate planning across divisions is moving them towards smarter, greener growth.
- John Purkis, Director, Purkis Strategies
- Ray Tomalty, Principal, Smart Cities Research Services
- Kalen Anderson, Director, City Plan Office of the Chief Planner, City Planning, City of Edmonton
4. Transforming the waste sector
The Guelph-Wellington municipal partnership is set to become Canada’s first technology-enabled Circular Food Economy. Learn how that project and emerging sector trends are driving change in waste management.
- Laurie Giroux, Director and Business Owner,, Giroux Environmental Consulting
- Jo-Anne St. Godard, Executive Director, Recycling Council of Ontario
5. Advancing municipal water management
Learn about the emerging trends in Canada’s water sector and explore ways you can shape your next project. Discover how Toronto is integrating technological and geo-digital solutions to support operations, improve efficiency, and leverage predictive data.
- Bernadette Conant, CEO, Canadian Water Network
- William Shea, Director, Distribution & Collection, Toronto Water