FCM Sustainable Communities Awards
The call for award nominations is now closed
FCM's Sustainable Communities Awards celebrate the most innovative local sustainability initiatives from across the country. Canadian cities and communities of all sizes are eligible to apply.
2018 Sustainable Communities Award winners will be announced in January 2018.
Learn more about what's new, the 2018 award benefits, and discover past winners and their innovative initiatives.
What's new for the 2018 Sustainable Communities Awards
We're innovating! This year, we've made changes to our awards program to better recognize and celebrate you - the sustainability leaders and trailblazers in municipalities across Canada.
- New award categories, such as asset management and climate change
- Streamlined and revised award categories, such as energy and brownfields
- New award given to the most innovative 2018 Sustainable Communities Award winner
- A simpler application process
- Opportunity for all winners to present their projects at the 2018 Sustainable Communities Conference in Ottawa
Showcase your initiative and get recognition from your peers
As an award winner, you'll receive local and national recognition and promotion for your initiative. Benefits include:
- Recognition from your peers, community and the media for your municipality's accomplishments in sustainable development
- The opportunity to showcase and present your initiative at FCM's 2018 Sustainable Communities Conference, taking place February 6-8, 2018, in the City of Ottawa, ON
- Individual coaching and support to help you develop a TED Talk-style presentation that will be recorded at the conference and shared
- Encourage local pride by inviting your community to vote for you to receive FCM's new Inspire Award
- A way to showcase your sustainability initiative as a model other municipalities can learn from
Learn about the award categories
This year, we introduced two new award categories — climate change and asset management — to better recognize the innovative types of initiatives municipalities are undertaking. We also streamlined and revised existing categories.
Learn more about the award categories.
Introducing the new Inspire Award
The winners of each category of FCM's 2018 Sustainable Communities Awards will be eligible for the new Inspire Award. After the winners in each category have presented their initiatives at the Sustainable Communities Conference, conference attendees will vote for the one that best demonstrates creativity and innovation.
Get inspired! Learn from case studies of our past winners
Looking for ideas? Learn from the videos and case studies describing FCM's 2016 Sustainable Communities Awards winning initiatives.
About FCM's Sustainable Communities Awards
FCM's Sustainable Communities Awards celebrate the most innovative sustainability and environmental initiatives in municipalities of all sizes and in all regions across Canada. Since 2000, FCM's Sustainable Communities Awards have generated national and local recognition for sustainability initiatives that take an integrated approach to development, leading to environmental, economic and social benefits.