Apply: 2018 Sustainable Communities Awards
Use our new, shorter and simplified online form to submit your application. Learn about the criteria for winning initiatives, who can apply, deadlines and eligibility requirements for initiatives.
Criteria for winning initiatives
The initiatives that will be selected as the winners in each category will:
- Take a holistic approach to sustainable communities, taking into consideration environmental, social and economic factors
- Measure and report on significant environmental, social and economic results (plans and studies need to include the anticipated results)
- Show leadership in public engagement
- Show how to develop, apply and adopt new knowledge, practices or technologies
- Measure and report on significant environmental impacts (plans and studies must indicate how they will measure and report on environmental impacts)
- Be replicable models that can benefit other municipalities
What you need to apply
Eligible initiatives must be:
- Aligned with the description of one of the eight award categories
- Endorsed with a letter of support from your municipality's council
- Started or completed between January 1, 2016, and September 15, 2017
o Note: initiatives that are still in progress are eligible
Who can apply
The awards are open to all Canadian municipalities. Municipalities don't need to be members of FCM, and initiatives don't need to have received funding from FCM.
- Secure a letter of support for your application from your council
Download a sample letter of support
- Complete the online application form
When completing the application form, be sure to:
Please note: you will be asked to create an account with your name, email address and password. This will allow you to save your online application form and return to it.
- Describe your initiative and its deliverables
- Describe your initiative's outcomes
- Provide information on the groups or organizations consulted prior to the initiative
- Detail performance indicators used to measure the impact of your initiative
- Describe any challenges, successes and lessons learned as a result of your initiative
Deadline to apply
Applications must be submitted by Friday, September 15, 2017, at 11:59 p.m. EDT.
All applicants will be notified by October 2017 whether they have been selected for an award.
For more information
Contact us with questions or for more information.