Please apply by Sunday, December 10, 2017
|Salary band:||$60,300 - $76,000|
|Department:||Communications and Membership|
|Language:||English, with French considered a strong asset|
|Duration:||7 month contract|
The Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) has been the national voice of municipal government since 1901. FCM is dedicated to improving the quality of life in all communities by promoting strong, effective and accountable municipal government. FCM also assumes a lead role representing Canadian municipal interests at the international level by establishing links with municipal associations in other countries. FCM is also involved in protecting the environment through pollution prevention and sustainable community development. The Federation serves constituents in both official languages.
Under the general direction and supervision of the Manager, Communications, the Communications Officer develops and leads communications plans and services in support of FCM's programs.
The Communications Officer leads and contributes to the development of communications products and activities, such as website content, e-bulletins and e-newsletters, social media, infographics, blog articles, videos, case studies, reports, presentation materials, awards programs, digital images and other resources.
The Communication Officer contributes to the development, monitoring and evaluation of communications strategies, plans and trends. He/She also supports the assessment of program communication vehicles and recommends measures, processes and tools for quality assurance, effective dissemination of resources and continuous improvement.
- Develops, implements and evaluates communications plans to promote program initiatives including knowledge resources, events, award programs and more
- Manages the development of communications tools (e.g. web content, guidebooks, social media content, e-bulletins, reports, presentations, case studies, videos) from concept, design, writing, editing and translation through to production, quality assurance and publication
- Researches, develops creative briefs and writes select program related communications materials, such as knowledge products, speaking points, magazine and newsletter articles, videos, e-bulletins, website and social media content, marketing materials and annual reports
- Substantively edits, copy-edits and conducts quality assurance; writes key messages; ensures appropriate document structure, grammatical accuracy, adherence to editorial standards, and consistent messaging; contributes to the development and maintenance of FCM-wide editorial and design standards for communications materials
- Coordinate with and oversee work assignments with external suppliers, such as editors, graphic designers and translators
- Gathers analytics related to social media and website to ensure continuous improvement in the development and dissemination of program information and resources.
- Assesses the quality of existing communications vehicles and the efficiency of document development processes among FCM business units and with external suppliers, and recommends to manager and implement methods to improve existing vehicles, systems and processes to meet communications and performance objectives
- Proposes standard wording to consistently communicate program related products and services to target audiences through resources such as brochures, articles, annual reports and the website; adjusts messaging as required to reflect organizational changes
- As a member of the FCM Communications and Membership team, creates and contributes to the development of communications and marketing strategies and plans aligned with corporate objectives
- May be called upon to participate in cross-functional team work
Knowledge and Experience:
- Post-secondary education in a communications or related field such as Public Relations, Journalism, Communications, Marketing or similar
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in a professional communications role
- Strong knowledge in the areas of communications project management, writing and editing
- Strong knowledge of best practices and experience in developing digital communications products, writing for the web, blogs and social media
- Knowledge of usability, search engine optimization, content strategy and content marketing best practices an asset
- Ability to manage multiple projects and assignments simultaneously and meet tight deadlines
- Knowledge of municipal, federal government or parliamentary affairs
- Strong political acumen and tact
- Excellent planning and priority management skills
- Strong adaptability and problem solving skills
- Strong customer service orientation
- Excellent oral and written communications in English with French being a strong asset
The successful candidate will also exhibit the following competencies:
- Results Oriented: Committed to achieving results, demonstrating innovation and creativity in overcoming obstacles. Organizes time, work and resources to accomplish objectives in the most effective and efficient way.
- Client Focus: Making client satisfaction a priority and at the center of all decisions. Providing service excellence to internal and external clients.
- Teamwork: Contributing to the development of a team environment where team members ultimately achieve established goals.
- Ethics and Fairness: Treating everyone fairly and equitably and maintaining high ethical standards.
Please apply by Sunday, December 10, 2017