Project Coordinator, Knowledge Services
Please apply by Sunday, September 17, 2017
|Salary band:||$50,700 - $63,800|
|Department:||Green Municipal Fund|
|Language:||Bilingualism (English & French) is an asset|
|Duration:||1 year contract|
The Government of Canada endowed the Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) with $500 million to establish the Green Municipal Fund. An additional $125 million top-up to this endowment was also announced in Budget 2016 and will be added to the Fund in 2017-18. As a leading catalyst for innovation at the local level, GMF offers funding (loans and grants) and knowledge to local governments and their partners for sustainable municipal infrastructure projects designed to support communities to improve air, water and soil quality and to protect the climate. GMF has been a test bed for some of the most innovative, cutting edge infrastructure projects in North America, including structured financing involving a combination of traditional and non-traditional lending techniques. Through GMF, municipalities have built better transportation assets; constructed efficient and resilient buildings; diverted waste from landfill; made previously unusable land available for development; and improved soil and water quality.
GMF also strengthens the capacity of Canadian municipalities to plan and invest in innovative, sustainable infrastructure, thereby saving millions of dollars for taxpayers and creating jobs, which contribute to local economies. GMF shares the lessons and expertise gained from funded initiatives through skills-enhancement, training and knowledge-sharing activities including case studies, manuals and reports, webinars, the FCM Sustainable Communities Awards and the FCM Sustainable Communities Conference. These activities help other communities replicate the successes of GMF-funded projects, multiplying the benefits of those projects across the country.
The Project Coordinator, Knowledge Services, supports the development and delivery of capacity building and knowledge programming through research, administrative and logistical support, review and analysis of project reports, and by supporting the development and delivery of information resources and learning activities.
- Supports the development and delivery of small group peer-to-peer learning and broad reach programming in GMF Knowledge Services priority areas (e.g. building retrofits, electric vehicle charging infrastructure, stormwater management)
- Supports the development and delivery of knowledge tools, information resources and learning activities in GMF Knowledge Services priority areas (e.g. including the Sustainable Communities Conference)
- Conducts research on best practice and interviews as needed in GMF Knowledge Services priority areas
- Reviews and analyzes GMF-funded initiatives to identify best practices for knowledge sharing and capacity building (e.g. webinars, guidebooks, case studies, online learning)
- Supports the management of online knowledge resources
- Promotes inter-unit collaboration, information sharing and knowledge brokering activities
- Responsible for conduct aligned to FCM's core competencies and business values
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with health and safety requirements and for ensuring a safe and respectful workplace
Knowledge and Experience:
- University degree in urban planning, social sciences, environmental studies/environmental science or environmental/civil engineering
- One to three (1-3) years' experience in conducting research, developing written materials for a professional audience and coordinating the delivery of learning activities (in person and/or online)
- Familiarity with one or more of GMF's funding sectors: asset management, brownfields, climate change, energy consumption, sustainability planning, sustainable transportation, waste reduction/management, or water conservation (wastewater, drinking water, stormwater management)
- Understanding of the structures, machinery and function of municipal government in Canada; and the interests of municipal governments related to sustainability and the environment
- Excellent research skills and uncompromising attention to detail
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong priority management and organization skills
- Strong sense of initiative with the ability to work independently and as part of team
- Highly skilled in the use of information technology (esp. Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint) and ability to easily learn new software (e.g. Webex, Microsoft Dynamics CRM)
- Ability to think creatively, analyze and solve problems
- The ability to communicate in written and verbal format in both official languages is an asset.
The successful candidate will also exhibit the following competencies:
- Results Oriented: Committed to achieving results, demonstrating innovation and creativity in overcoming obstacles. Organizes time, work and resources to accomplish objectives in the most effective and efficient way.
- Client Focus: Making client satisfaction a priority and at the center of all decisions. Providing service excellence to internal and external clients.
- Teamwork: Contributing to the development of a team environment where team members ultimately achieve established goals.
- Ethics and Fairness: Treating everyone fairly and equitably and maintaining high ethical standards.
Please apply by Sunday, September 17, 2017