Webinar: The Future of Public Transit in Canada
From Vision to Action
Wednesday, February 23, 2011
How will we get around in our cities in the future? What transit options fit the size and form of my community today? How do I improve service to increase active and mobile transit tomorrow?
This webinar will begin with CUTA's Transit Vision 2040, which explores changes likely to take place in Canadian communities over the next generation. These changes and strategic directions can optimize public transit's contribution to our quality of life. Let's prepare for these changes by sharing knowledge and best practices.
The City of Hamilton's revitalized B Line Bus rapid transit line combines hybrid bus technology, service improvements and social marketing to increase ridership and improve service. Learn why these steps fit Hamilton's local context and their experiences since initial implementation in 2007.
The webinar will also profile several initiatives in Metro Vancouver, supported by TransLink and the FCM's Green Municipal Fund. These innovative sustainable transit initiatives point the way towards this vision for 2040, including the
- Michael Roschlau, President and Chief Executive Officer, Canadian Urban Transit Association (CUTA)
- Carol Wildeman, PMP, Sr. Project Manager, Transit Business Applications, Hamilton Street Railway, Transit Group, Public Works Department, City of Hamilton, ON
- Derek Bacchioni, Treasury Manager, TransLink, BC
- Derek Stewart, Manager, Environmental Sustainability, Coast Mountain Bus Company, Ltd.
- CUTA's Transit Vision 2040
- Public Transit: A Vision for the Next Generation
- Using Hybrid Bus Technology to Market Hamilton's "B-Line" Bus Rapid Transit Route
- The Future of Public Transit in Canada: From Vision to Action