CIPP collaboration in Manitoba
FCM is working in collaboration with the Centre for Indigenous Environmental Resources (CIER) to expand regional capacity to support additional First Nation-municipal partnerships in Manitoba.
CIER is the only national, First Nation-directed environmental non-profit organization with charitable status in Canada. CIER operates in a virtual environment and staff work with clients to develop and implement sustainable solutions to proactively address environmental issues affecting Indigenous lands.
Through CIPP, FCM and CIER have jointly delivered five workshops since December 2016. FCM hopes to pursue our collaboration in 2017-2018.
This new mentorship model will enable CIER to take on new partnerships and work on a variety of issues, reducing costs while increasing the number of assisted communities. With this partnership's success, FCM hopes to train additional Indigenous and municipal organizations across the country in the future.
Here is a list of Manitoba communities CIPP is working with, along with a brief description of the work currently being undertaken:
- Rolling River First Nation, Keeseekoowenin First Nation, the Rural Municipality of Clanwilliam-Erickson, the Municipality of Harrison Park and Riding Mountain National Park
The partners have completed a feasibility study and are working together to review options for solid waste management in their area.
- Opaskwayak Cree Nation, the Town of The Pas, the Regional Municipality of Kelsey, the northern Communities of Easterville, Pelican Rapids, Cormorant, Dawson Bay and Moose Lake, and possible additional First Nation partners
The communities are exploring the possibility of a northern Manitoba regional solid waste centre.
- Pine Creek First Nation and the northern Communities of Duck Bay and Camperville
An initial workshop was held on March 2, 2017.
- Cross Lake First Nation and the Incorporated Community of Cross Lake
An initial workshop will be held on March 13, 2017.
- Rural Municipality of Pipestone, Canupawakpa Dakota First Nation, MB
This partnership was announced in May 2017.