Okanagan Indian Band and City of Vernon
Unique Features of this Partnership
The Okanagan is a major tourist destination in BC, and Vernon is currently one of the only municipalities in the Okanagan that doesn't have a developed waterfront. Okanagan Indian Band (OKIB) and City of Vernon have a unique opportunity to collaborate on land use planning and economic development of the neighbouring Sandy Beach / Kin Beach (waterfront area) in Vernon. OKIB and City of Vernon will participate in CEDI 2017 - 2020.
Areas of Collaboration - Joint CED Themes
- Land Use Planning and Economic Development in the Sandy Beach /Kin Beach /Lakeshore Road area
- Tourism opportunities in Polson Park and Rail Trail
- Emergency Planning
- Drafted Terms of Reference (TOR) for the OKIB-Vernon Joint CEDI Working Group
- Joint Press Release announcing the partnership (February 2018)
- Review and revision of existing Protocol Agreement
- Joint Workshop to explore each community's land use plans and jurisdiction, specifically on the waterfront area (April 2018)
- Joint Strategic Plan for Waterfront (July 2018)
In the Media
Why Work Together?
Chief Byron Louis, OKIB
"I am pleased to participate in this important initiative with Mayor Akbal Mund and his council. We recognize by working together on economic development initiatives in our traditional territory, we will have the opportunity to identify some challenges and create strategies to overcome them. The result of these efforts will strengthen our relationship and the regional economy."
Mayor Akbal Mund, City of Vernon
"I am confident that our common goals for local economic development will foster benefits that will extend to many other aspects of community building. The CEDI program is giving us the framework to work together to achieve strong local results."
This partnership is currently in Stage B: Vision/ Stage C: Decide of the Stronger Together process as they enter into their second year with CEDI. Their areas of interest for the coming year, include:
- Formalizing and celebrating the Protocol Agreement between OKIB and City of Vernon
- Finalizing the Joint Strategic Plan for Waterfront, and creating an associated work plan
- Exploring joint tourism opportunities with Polson Park and Rail Trail
- Continued relationship building and community engagement