Global Municipal Networks
FCM is leading the charge on the world stage, advocating for local governments to be included as key partners in global initiatives, such as the United Nations' Sustainable Development Goals. Our work paid off, and local government issues are now an integral part of the SDGs. The acknowledgement by UN member states of the importance of cities is a huge win for local and regional governments around the world.
An international municipal movement
FCM is part of a global movement that includes local government associations, international municipal organizations, multilateral institutions, international donors and other groups dedicated to supporting and empowering local authorities.
Working closely with organizations like United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG), the Commonwealth Local Government Forum (CLGF), and the Association Internationale des Maires Francophones (AIMF) allows us to better pursue our international initiatives, advocate on behalf of municipalities, encourage intergovernmental coordination, promote gender equality, and help partner municipalities and associations find their voice on the global stage.
Our partnerships also provide a platform for FCM member municipalities and overseas partners to engage their international counterparts and share their expertise in local governance.
Our networking objectives
In general, our involvement in global municipal networks takes two forms:
- Policy development and international relations - representing the interests of the Canadian municipal sector to members of the global network
- Development cooperation - playing a management role to foster effective coordination of externally funded development work carried out with international municipal partners through our federally funded programming
All of our activities with global municipal networks are guided by the following strategic priorities to:
- Play an active leadership role in local government organizations around the world, securing partnerships with organizations that strengthen the capacity of municipalities to meet the needs of their residents
- Create alliances for peace-building, sustainable development and poverty alleviation
- Help our local government development cooperation partners play a more significant role in these global organizations