Municipal elected official climate champions
Inspire climate action among elected officials across Canada
Are you an elected official who is committed to climate change action in your municipality? Are you interested in inspiring and motivating peers in other municipalities to act on climate change?
FCM's Municipalities for Climate Innovation Program (MCIP) and Partners for Climate Protection (PCP) program are looking for elected officials to champion climate action by communicating their experiences to their peers in municipalities of all sizes across the country.
Become a climate champion
As a climate champion, you will talk to your fellow elected officials and speak at specific events, sharing examples of successful climate change initiatives you have undertaken to inspire your peers to start similar projects in their communities.
You will also provide FCM with insights about the climate change efforts in your municipality and region, and feedback to help us enhance MCIP and PCP program activities and resource materials.
Inspire fellow municipal elected officials by sharing your community's experience in climate action through the following activities:
- Speak on behalf of MCIP and PCP at two to three engagements per year
- Provide feedback on the direction of FCM programming, including initiatives and materials to support elected officials
- Stay informed on climate change initiatives in your region and share lessons learned with FCM
Benefits of being a champion
Through this role, you will influence action on climate change from coast to coast to coast. You will benefit from:
- Recognition from peers and FCM for your leadership in climate change
- Increased visibility, including a profile on our website
- Invitations to certain FCM/ICLEI — Local Governments for Sustainability Canada events, with registration paid by the program
- Invitations to other conferences and events across the country
Who can apply
Elected officials from PCP member municipalities both large and small, who have demonstrated leadership and personal commitment on climate change may apply. To be eligible, you must be a current elected official in a municipal government or have held office within the last few years, be available for the three-year term (August 2018 to March 2021), and be able to meet the requirements of the role.
Apply online by August 10, 2018
- Download and review the Expression of Interest
- Submit your application through our online form by August 10, 2018