2015 National Measures Report
Local climate change action report highlights success stories and trends in Canada's municipalities
The Partners for Climate Protection program's National Measures Report 2015 shows how local governments across Canada develop and use climate change action plans to reduce carbon emissions, enhance the environment and create healthier and more resilient communities.
You can use this report as a tool to kick-start the development or advance implementation of your corporate and community action plans, learn about key partner organizations, find funding options and more.
Canadian municipalities use climate action plans to reduce GHGs and save energy
The National Measures Report 2015 is a one-of-a-kind overview of local climate change action plans and national trends based on PCP's own data collected on the ground. Key findings from the municipalities surveyed include:
- More than 90 per cent are developing climate change action plans or policies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- Nearly 80 per cent plan to improve energy performance of new building stock.
- Over 70 per cent plan to integrate district energy or alternative energy sources in their communities.
Best practices, tools and funding options to help you develop your local climate action plan
The National Measures Report can help you plan and implement climate action plans in your own municipality. It provides best practices and resources such as:
- Leading-edge examples of climate change action plan development and implementation in municipalities of all sizes and regions.
- Options and sources for innovative funding structures, such as FCM's Green Municipal Fund.
- Resources, such as assessment tools, to help your municipality overcome planning challenges and launch effective climate change actions.
- Feature articles from key partner organizations and regional networks actively working in local climate change planning and implementation.
The report also includes an overview of the Partners for Climate Protection Program and how our step-by-step Milestone Framework can help your municipality reduce greenhouse gas emissions and save energy cost-effectively.
Looking for more examples of local climate change action plans and projects? Read the case studies of municipalities that have achieved Milestone 5 in PCP's Milestone Framework.