How to set greenhouse gas reduction targets for Canadian cities: Guidebook
Advance your climate action plan and achieve Milestone 2 in the Partners for Climate Protection Program
- Read the guide: For municipal staff responsible for climate change action plans
- Two-page overview: For elected officials and decision-makers
Reducing carbon emissions is an important step toward developing healthier, more resilient communities of the future. This guidebook, Reaching Milestone 2: How to set emissions reduction targets, can help your municipality establish greenhouse gas reduction targets to help drive your local climate action plan.
The guidebook provides specific examples to help you:
- Understand target-setting methodologies and principles
- Assess factors influencing local carbon emissions
- Choose an achievable target and select a meaningful timeframe
It is designed for municipalities that are:
- Working through Milestone 2 and setting emissions reductions targets for the first time
- Revising or renewing existing targets
- Working toward Milestone 2 of the Partners for Climate Protection program's Milestone Framework
The guidebook can also help you understand how the target setting process relates to other stages in the framework, including establishing a GHG inventory (Milestone 1) and developing the local climate action plan (Milestone 3).