FCM unites and empowers Canada’s municipalities. We bring local priorities to the national agenda, and together we’ve secured historic federal investments in infrastructure, housing, rural broadband and more. We’re shaping Canada’s COVID-19 response, and we’ll help drive Canada’s recovery.
FCM gets results because we bring together more than 2,000 cities and communities of all sizes, representing 90 percent of Canadians. Every one of our members is key to forming the strong and united national voice that drives FCM’s influence, and builds better lives for Canadians.
Now more than ever, Canada looks to FCM members to deliver local solutions to national challenges. So municipal leaders need to work together to build stronger communities—and a better Canada.
Learn how FCM is supporting its members through COVID-19.
What FCM does for members
- We unite local governments of all sizes. With 2,000 members representing more than 90 percent of Canadians, we are the trusted and respected national voice of municipalities.
- We shape the national agenda. With unprecedented influence and access to key federal decision-makers in every party, we’re driving historic investments in municipal priorities.
- We provide unique tools. Our expert policy analysis—on legalized cannabis, rights of way, and more—informs and empowers members to address emerging local issues.
- We build local capacity. Our national and international programs—on everything from sustainability to reconciliation—offer funding, training and resources to communities.
- We defend municipal interests. Through our Legal Defense Fund, we intervene in precedent-setting federal cases to defend municipal jurisdiction.
- We connect local leaders. Our Annual Conference and our Sustainable Communities Conference attract thousands of municipal leaders—as well as federal party leaders.
What FCM has achieved for its members
FCM has secured historic gains at the federal level—empowering local leaders to build better lives.
- Up to $8.6 billion in emergency funding for cities and communities facing financial crisis due to COVID-19.
- The $180-billion federal infrastructure plan to support key local projects, from public transit to wastewater system upgrades.
- Canada’s first-ever national housing strategy, as well as a $1-billion Rapid Housing Initiative to urgently house vulnerable Canadians.
- A $1.75 billion Universal Broadband Fund to bring high-speed connectivity to every rural, remote and northern community.
- The creation and indexing of Canada’s federal Gas Tax Fund transfer, as well as Budget 2019’s $2.2 billion doubling of GTF allocations.
- A strengthened seat at the table through unprecedented engagement with senior federal decision-makers—including the Prime Minister, cabinet ministers and opposition leaders.
- A $2 billion rural and northern infrastructure fund, with higher federal contributions and commitments to streamline project administration.
- A 10-year federal transit plan, with direct allocations that put municipalities in the driver’s seat—from project selection to delivery.
- Trusted national and international programs that build capacity on climate innovation, asset management, gender parity, and more—including FCM’s sector-leading Green Municipal Fund.
Have a question about how membership can help your community?