Thanks to our strong and united membership, FCM is delivering unprecedented results for cities and communities of all sizes—so they can build better lives for Canadians. Our diverse membership brings together nearly 2,000 municipalities, representing 90 percent of all Canadians from coast to coast to coast.
FCM delivers results
Our members know that FCM membership is an investment in their communities.
- FCM was instrumental in securing the federal Gas Tax Fund—as well as making it permanent, indexing it, and doubling it in Budget 2019. We were also instrumental in securing the GST rebate for municipalities.
- In 2018 alone the GST rebate for municipalities totalled more than $3 billion.
- We’re shaping the rollout of the historic $180 billion federal infrastructure plan—including an allocation-based transit plan and higher federal contributions to get local projects moving.
- We’re driving new tools for rural, northern and remote communities—including $2 billion dedicated to infrastructure and commitments to streamline project administration.
- We’ve moved affordable housing to the top of the federal agenda—including new investments and Canada’s first-ever national housing strategy.
- We’ve supported members through cannabis legalization with expert tools and a federal commitment to release a share of excise tax revenues to municipalities.
- We’ve helped move the federal government toward a national broadband strategy so that every community has access to affordable and reliable broadband Internet.
- We’re building local capacity through leading national and international programs on asset management, climate resilience, reconciliation with Indigenous peoples, and more.
Join FCM today
Decisions made in the evolution of federal budgets and party platforms in the run-up to elections transform our cities and communities. Let's build on the momentum we’ve created and seize more historic opportunities with a strong and united voice at the table. That’s how we get results. So join us as we work together to build a more prosperous, livable and sustainable Canada.
Have a question about how membership can help your community?