FCM is pleased to have signed an agreement with the Global Covenant of Mayors for Climate and Energy (GCoM), along with ICLEI — Local Governments for Sustainability (ICLEI Canada), to lead the delivery of GCoM Canada activities on municipal climate action across the country.
This agreement marks the launch of a new pilot project over the next two years. The project will support Canadian municipalities as they advance their climate objectives and adopt the common reporting framework (CRF) of the GCoM.
The project features two initiatives:
- Global Covenant of Mayors Helpdesk – a communications resource for GCoM Canada signatories to access information and assistance in implementing the CRF, using the expertise of existing mitigation and adaptation programs.
- GCoM Canada Showcase Cities – a group of 20 – 40 municipalities committed to ambitious climate action, recruited to share lessons learned through the duration of the project. The call for participants will be announced summer 2019.
Benefits of joining the Global Covenant of Mayors in Canada
Join the largest global coalition of local governments committed to deep climate action. GCoM Canada signatories can expect to:
- Amplify your community’s voice by showcasing your vital contribution to the implementation of the Paris Agreement
- Collaborate across all orders of government to accelerate climate action in cities and communities of all sizes
- Receive tailored support through key partners and GCoM’s initiatives for climate action
- Tap into non-traditional sources of local government finance, working with private and public sector institutions to build autonomy for your municipality to take meaningful and ambitious action on climate change
- Access opportunities for networking, cooperation and knowledge exchange
How to join
- Contact us at email@example.com
- Canadian members of the former Compact of Mayors are automatically members of the Global Covenant of Mayors in Canada; no further action is required in the near term.
Support for this collaboration is provided through the International Urban Cooperation Project of the European Commission.
FCM Media Relations
Sign up for our FCM Connect e-newsletter to stay informed about funding offers, climate change resources and the latest program news.